Call For SRD Grant To Be Increased
Congress of South African Trade Unions has called on the government to increase the Social Relief of Distress grant to the level of food poverty. The grant beneficiaries receive R350 every month to meet their basic needs.
Union Calls for Srd Grant to Be Increased
During the Covid-19 pandemic, the R350 Social Relief of Distress (SRD) grant was introduced to provide financial assistance to unemployed individuals. Seven million South Africans receive the R350 grant from the South African Social Security Agency (Sassa).
Government recently announced it would extend SRD grants beyond 2024, according to President Cyril Ramaphosa. The Congress of South African Trade Unions (COSATU) welcomed the extension of the grant, but called on the government to increase the SRD grant to the level of food poverty.
How Much Srd Grant Increase
As a result, the SRD grant would have to increase from R350 to R624 per month, which is the food poverty line. According to reports, people would be able to apply and qualify for financial assistance if the SRD grant was increased to R624 per year. Ramaphosa has previously stated the R350 may not be enough, but the government cannot afford to increase the SRD grant.
What Ramaphosa Said About Sassa
We know most of you don’t think the grant is enough and want the funds increased, but the government doesn’t have enough money for that, so we’ll continue,” Ramaphosa said. Until the grant’s administrative issues are addressed, all 12 million unemployed people will not be able to access it.
Additionally, the union states that recipients of the SRD grant must be provided with skills development programs and job opportunities so they can earn their own income.
How To Submit Your April 2023 R350 grant appeal
- Step 1: Visit The ITSAA Website
- Step 2: Enter Your Identification Number
- Step 3: Enter The Cell Phone Number You Used During The Application Process
- Step 4: Click Send “Pin”
- Step 5: Once you receive the pin, you will be required to insert it and click “Submit”
- Step 6: Select the month that you are appealing for
- Step 7: Secret the drop‐down arrow to choose the reason for your appeal application from the options provided
- Step 8: Click “Submit” to complete the appeal application process