Apply For A Funza Lushaka Teaching Bursary
Apply For A Funza Lushaka Teaching Bursary Funza Lushaka Bursary is perfect for anyone wishing to study a teaching course. Keep reading to find out how to submit your Funza Lushaka bursary application
If you are looking to study a teaching degree and you’re looking for a way to fund your studies, the Funza Lushaka Bursary could be your answer. This bursary is geared towards anyone wishing to become a teacher.
In order to qualify for the bursary you need to be studying or wish to study a Bachelor of Education (BEd) or a Postgraduate Certificate of Education (PGCE) at a public university.
Funza Lushaka Bursary programme has been a useful fund for students who want to enter the world of teaching since 2007, when the programme initially began.
It aims to appeal particularly to those 30 years of age and below who have been accepted to study a Bachelor of Education (B. Ed) or a Postgraduate Certificate in Education (PGCE) at a tertiary institution in South Africa.
However, before applying to the programme, the student will have to agree to a list of terms and conditions that align with the programme’s requirements.
The following is a summary of the terms and conditions that can be found on the official government website for the Department of Basic Education:
- Only valid South African citizens with a valid South African ID number can be awarded the Funza Lushaka bursary.
- Applicants with a documented history of crime, misconduct or dismissal from work will not be eligible for the bursary.
- The bursary funds received by the applicant are to be used by and allocated to no one but the applicant.
- Bursary applicants must already have been accepted into a BEd or PGCE qualification at an accredited public university in South Africa and have met the national selection criteria for the bursary programme which can be found here.
- The bursary will only be awarded to the applicant if two of the priority area subjects are included as a specialisation in the teaching qualification, except for Foundation Phase specialisation.
- The applicant is in charge of paying their own registration fee. Payment of the registration fee does not guarantee that the applicant will be accepted into the programme.
- The Funza Lushaka Bursary Selection Committee will meet and process all bursary applications during February and March of each academic year.
- Typically, the Funza Bursary Coordinator at the University will notify the applicant no later than the 30th of April in the year of application as to whether or not they have been awarded the bursary.
- Once accepted into the programme, the bursary holder will not be allowed to change the area of specialisation on which basis the bursary was awarded.
- Once the bursary holder has attained their qualification whilst under the bursary programme, they will be required to take up a provincial teaching post. The bursary holder will not be granted permission to defer this contractual obligation at any cost.
- Bursary holders will be expected to have and retain an Email address and a cell phone contact number for the duration of the study for communication purposes.
- If the recipient fails to meet the requirements of the bursary agreement once being accepted into the programme, they will be required to repay the bursary amount.
- The amount that is repayable is the full amount of the bursary received under the programme, subtracting one year’s worth of funding for every year spent teaching at a public school. Interest will be charged at the rate determined by NSFAS.
- The bursary awarded is for one academic year at a time. The bursar will have to renew their application every year starting from the 1st of October upon achievement of academic success for as long as their qualification may require it.
- The applicant should have academic drive and be able to produce a good academic record.
- The applicant has to be committed to a career in teaching and be able to adopt aspects that are of importance within the teaching profession, i.e., being able to work well with people.
This is a summary of the complete 16-point list of terms and conditions for the Funza Lushaka Bursary programme. For further information, visit the official government website dedicated to the Department of Basic Education here.
How To Apply
- Open the e-Gov portal at www.eservices.gov.za
- Register by providing personal information
- Login to the system using user name and password created when registering
- On the e-Services Menu select Funza Lushaka Bursary Scheme
- Enter the OTP received on the preferred channel
- Accept the Terms and Conditions
- On the dashboard menu click on the 2022 application button
- Follow the steps to complete the required field with your information
- Accept the declaration to confirm the information captured